Thursday, January 17, 2008

Now that the semester has started and I'm working again, Christopher has started his 2 days per week of daycare. Yesterday was his first day, but we've gone a couple of times with him during this past week and spent time there so he'd get used to the surroundings. I was pretty upset before dropping him off, and had been upset all week over it. But when we got there, I set up his cubby, his food and his crib and he seemed really comfortable and curious. He's crawling now (backwards only!) and he didn't stick by me, he took off and watched some of the babies and played with the toys. The women who worked there were really, really nice. Unfortunately they aren't the regular women who work in the infant room, they are just there temporarily, but I liked them a lot and they were attentive to all of the infants. I stuck around for a while but he was quite content, so I went and observed from the hallway window and yep... still content and playing. I left feeling really calm about the whole situation, that its only 2 short days a week and he'll probably benefit from being around other kids. I called after 2 hours and he had eaten all his food and they said he was a little fussy but fine when held. Then I called again later and they said a crying baby had woken him up only 30 minutes into his nap, so he was fussy but they were going to put him back to sleep. I couldn't believe they got him to sleep in the first place, that is amazing that he was so comfortable. I picked him up then and finished his nap at home, but the first day could not have gone better. I hear the first couple weeks are actually harder than the first day because that's when they realize you're going to leave them there, so we'll see how it goes. I feel comfortable with him there though, I know he's safe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i know it's hard andy, i've been there and mine were babies too, but he'll get through it, it's tougher on the parents. he's a great baby and he'll let them know what he wants with that wonderful scream of his. he'll adjust, and so will you, it just shows how great of a mom you are to be concerned, i stalked zacks day care outside and peeked thru the windows the first few days, he was totally fine with the other kids, he was one and couldn't care less, our children are troopers. hang in there, and come over, i need to hug my nephew. talk to you soon, love jenn